Peanut Butter Chocolate Krispie Treats are an upgraded, extra gooey version of the classic rice krispie bars. People of all ages will love these sweet treats! Everywhere you take them, smiles are sure to appear. Chocolate rice cereal, two doses of marshmallows, peanut butter and mini M&Ms take these easy-to-make bars over the top.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Krispie Treats:
Peanut butter and chocolate are a classic combination (hello Reese’s peanut butter cups!). So when my son recently decided he didn’t like cocoa krispies cereal, only regular rice krispies (kids!), I needed to find a way to use up the box of cocoa krispies I had sitting in the cupboard. The box also happened to be sitting next to a jar of peanut butter. I immediately thought of krispie treats, of course, and these peanut butter chocolate krispie treats were born.
I also feel like the addition of peanut butter makes these treats somewhat healthy, like a protein bar, right?? Okay, maybe not, but they are really delicious. Extra gooey too with the addition of extra marshmallows! And who can argue with some mini M&M’s on top?
Besides the usual suspects for krispie treats (the cereal, marshmallows and butter), I’ve added peanut butter and vanilla for extra flavor, additional marshmallows in the mini form for extra gooeyness, and mini M&Ms for extra chocolaty flavor and decoration!
Start the marshmallow mix by melting the butter over medium low heat, then adding the peanut butter and the 10 oz bag of marshmallows.
Keep stirring while the marshmallows melt away into the butter and peanut butter mixture. The stirring is fun and also kind of mesmerizing (in a good way). Once the marshmallows have completely melted, remove the pan from the heat and add the vanilla. Stir until the mixture is well combined.
Now you’ll quickly add your cocoa krispies and mini marshmallows. The mini marshmallows are what make these krispie treats extra gooey. They’re added with the cereal so they don’t completely melt. They just get warm and a little melty – krispie bar perfection!
Once everything is mixed together and well distributed, pour the mixture into your pan and lightly press down. I used a 9″ round pan for fun. It has high sides and will also make the krispie treats thicker than usual.
Sprinkle the M&Ms on top and then firmly press the mixture into the pan. This will also press the candies into the krispie treats so they won’t roll off when you’re cutting the bars. I used mini M&Ms, but you can do sprinkles, any other kind of candy you like, or a combination.
Once the krispie treats have cooled, they should come out of the pan in one piece. I find it’s easier to cut them on a cutting board with a mezzaluna chopper or other large knife. I like the mezzaluna for cutting krispie treats (and pizza) because it’s large enough to easily cut all the way across!
It will be difficult, but wait at least an hour before removing the peanut butter chocolate krispie treats from the pan. If you try to cut them too soon, it will be an ooey, gooey mess. But once they are set, then they will cut beautifully and will be a delicious, ooey, gooey treat!
All ages of people love these krispie treats, they’re not just for kids! You’re sure to make friends everywhere you take them.
Now it’s time for some quality control…..
Peanut Butter Chocolate Krispie Treats
- Yield: 12 bars
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter
- 1 10 oz bag of marshmallows
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 2-3 cups of mini marshmallows
- 6 cups of cocoa krispies cereal, or any chocolate cereal
- 1/2 cup of mini M&Ms or sprinkles
- Lightly spray your pan with cooking spray. I used a round, high-sided cake pan for fun, but you can also use square, rectangular, whatever you have. You can use a 13×9 pan, but the treats will be thinner (still delicious!).
- In a large pan, melt the butter over medium low heat. Add the peanut butter and 10 oz bag of marshmallows to the pan, stirring as the marshmallows begin to melt. Once they are melted, remove from the heat and add the vanilla, stirring until combined.
- Add the cocoa krispies and the mini marshmallows to the pan and stir quickly to combine, making sure to distribute the mini marshmallows throughout the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pan, pressing down slightly.
- Add the mini M&Ms on top and press down to pack the krispie treats into the pan.
- Let cool for at least an hour, then cut into your desired shape and size. Try not to eat the whole pan yourself!