This recipe was born out of not wanting to waste the orange after using the peel for some Orange Simple Syrup. Granted I could have just eaten the orange, but I was in the mood for a salad, so that’s where I went!
I first segmented, or supremed, the orange to use in the salad. Supreming the orange is really easy and makes the segments much more pleasant to eat because you are leaving the membrane behind and only using the orange flesh. Take a small knife and cut just inside of the membrane on each side, then pop out the orange segment.
Once you have the segments cut out, take the leftover part of the orange in your hand and squeeze it into a bowl to get the juice for the dressing. Now that you have your orange juice, all you need to do is combine it with the rest of the dressing ingredients in a jar, dressing shaker or bowl and whisk or shake vigorously! This dressing pairs especially well with an arugula salad, which has a nice peppery bite.
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a jar, dressing shaker, or bowl and shake or whisk vigorously to combine.
- Refrigerate for up to 5 days.